Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A nice relaxing weekend

Firstly my apologies to the lovely northerners who so kindly put up with me a the start of March. My belated thanks and appreciation. This was so I could help out at an event that is close to my heart since being involved throughout my 4 years at University and will be for many years to come hopefully. The High Peak Marathon is it's name if you want to compete. If you do I would suggest going to see a therapist. 42 miles...over the hilly peak district...at night....usually in icy/cold/wet/foggy/boggy/stupidly muddy conditions...in Lycra. Not my cup of tea really but it is great fun to help out at.

Anyway.....

Bank Holiday Weekend

I did nothing special. This comment got me in serious trouble with the other half.
What I really should say is I spent some much needed quality relaxing time with her. It was great to be together and finally relax. Being our first real break since Christmas we were both pretty tired so slept most (all) of Friday and Saturday mornings. It was GREAT :D

This Week

I'm on a course with my newly-transferred-formally-known-as-Metronet Graduates covering all the ins&outs of trains as part of what Metronet call "Rolling Stock Week 2009", "Whoop!" is the common subtitle to this course but so far I'm not greatly impressed. I believe this to be mainly down to being a big know-it-all tube geek (which I really wasn't before getting the job by the way) or possibly because I've covered it all before as part of my stock training for both 72TS and 73TS back in November. I am learning some new things so it's not all bad and I'm off to Bombardier tomorrow to see what trains look like before they are broken.
I'm glad to be getting a week off from the SSR integration work I'm doing but can't help but think about the paperwork and questions waiting for me when I get back. I have a few questions that even the 'experts' giving us the talks can't answer and have said ask...so-&-so...he'll know that. But in the faint hope someone with superior knowledge is reading this....

Question of the week

A train (with regenerative brakes) is in motion and the traction power is discharged in the occupied section. When the train applies the brakes does the regen increase the line voltage in the section? Or is the regen brake made unavailable.

I'm a big train geek I know. But when your job is to understand how the railway works I think these are acceptable questions.

Must do things this week

Start running again! I was doing so well before it started to snow and ever since I've been too tired to make the effort. You may begin to see a graph or something funky charting my pathetic progress in the coming weeks. If I can remember how to embed the HTML.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I've spent 2 weeks so far doing as little as possible. Well if you ignore the 25 mile bike ride that has pretty much crippled me(maybe I need to start running.... f only there were fewer hills!). I'm drinking beer to compensate and going to get an iPhone tomorrow before my phone refuses to work anymore!