I thought this an appropriate time to publish how I got the job. I am on the electrical engineering scheme which is run by LU. It is a two year scheme where you are given placements all over LU (and TfL if you wish) to gain experience. After the two years you should be placed in a role within a department you want. There were 95 TfL graduate at this years selection of which 35 were destined for LU. Sadly only 3 of these are engineers; 2 electrical and 1 civil. There were no graduates taken on in the signaling, communications and mechanical schemes this year.
So facts out of the way here are the 10 steps to getting a job with LU. This is my experience of last year so it may change this year.
- Do your research on TfL : Why do you want the job? Make sure it is the right job for you. If in doubt email any questions to questions@tflgraduates.co.uk as they will be happy to help.
- Apply via http://www.tfl.gov.uk/microsites/graduates/apply.asp : Take your time and use the plentiful hints and tips for each stage.
- If you haven't completely messed up the application you will receive a phone interview. This is nothing to worry about as it is a few simple questions, I had the first 4 from the application.
- Next stage was a simple (I mean ridiculously simple) questionnaire about situations and what you would do. Common sense really.
- Then I was invited to an assessment centre in London. It was a half day event with a group exercise where we discussed the pros and cons of pedestrianisation of a High street. You get given a role and have to get 'your' opinion across. You also have to write a quick report of everything discussed and decided. Follow the instructions and it's not too difficult.
- Part of the same event was a short interview with a recruiter (not TfL) who has a list of questions and each applicant gets the same questions. Have some examples of TfLs core competencies and you'll be fine.
- Last thing on the event is the psychometric tests. I had practiced these through my University careers service and it helped to know what sort of thing was about to be sprung upon me. Sadly it was not similar to any other test I'd done before. It was a card based test where by the use of logic, maths and reasoning you work out the missing details. I didn't finish the test but think I got all the questions I did correct.
- So now the wait.... I was called/emailed within a few days to say that I was accepted to the next stage interview. I think this year this might be done on the same day but I'm not sure. The interviews were meant to be in January but I had to wait till March, I guess they were waiting for more applicants.
- March comes round and on the most annoying day possible I had to go to London. I had been given a topic for a 15min presentation (10 mins + 5 mins Q&A) which was "Electromagnetic Compatibility in Railway Systems". I knew nothing on this topic so I had to research it in the library. I was later asked about the techniques I used to research the presentation.
- The interview was about an hour and a half long with 3 TfL staff, the scheme sponsor, a senior manager and a graduate scheme manager. It was split into two sections, roughly equal split for technical questions and competency based questions. As long as you have good examples and have done step 1 you shouldn't have problems here. I then had lunch with a previous graduate and the other (yes only one) applicant who was yet to be interviewed. After lunch I was shown around Baker street station whilst the other applicant was interviewed.
- I rushed back to Sheffield to marshal the High Peak Marathon (Hopefully I'll get time to go back this year), before I'd left London I was called to be offered the job.
So that's how I got the job, oh so did the other applicant, so if you do get to the final round you have good odds of getting the job.
So http://www.tfl.gov.uk/microsites/graduates/apply.asp is where to apply...any questions?
I just have to say even though the application process is long and thorough it is a very good scheme and no matter how much I miss Sheffield it is the job for me. Shifts do suck though!

No comments:
Post a Comment