Monday, October 13, 2008

Filling in the gaps.

Sorry for the gaps... been rather busy.

Stock training on the 1972 Bakerloo stock went well last week. It was a great deal of information to take in but I managed it. The others on the course are all 2nd year grads who have done a course in Birmingham on Railway Systems so had a head start. Luckily the systems weren't too complex just lots of possible faults.

We spent the week learning in the classroom and then visiting Stonebridge Park depot to consolidate the learning of the morning.

Highlights of the week:
  • Shunting experience: My first train driving involved uncoupling and coupling a double and single ended unit and moving up and down a little bit in the depot. No more than 3m and at slow speed. Can't wait to unleash the full power as it was very powerful even on its lowest setting.
  • Faults: We had the cab set up with faults and had to work out how to get the train moving again. After a week of instruction I think we all did a reasonable job on this one. Normally it takes 3/4 weeks for full Train Operators.
This week has seen me move to the Piccadilly line for 4 weeks. This week I'll mostly be introduced to the line and the 1973 stock. Which after today I can safely say wont be a problem as its soooo much easier than the 1972 Bakerloo trains. There is a Cab display unit that tells you what the faults arw and which carriage the faults are in. Which even engineer designed that did a good job. Makes it so much easier to diagnose.

The rest of this week is going to be more practical based in the depot so hopefully we'll get to drive the train a bit more.

I should have 3 weeks on the rails but I'm sure my development manager will have something to say about that. After cutting short my station placement they can go jump if they think they can shorten this one too. Time will tell.

p.s. I did see the track recording train today heading to Cockfosters. First sighting on the move.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there a group of about half a dozen of you, and have you been using the mess room at Arnos at breakfast-y sorts of times? (.. I think on Monday specifically...)

TheNumber23 said...

Theres 4 of us and we were in the training room at Arnos on Monday and a bit on Tuesday. Since then we've been at Oakwook Depot trying to get to grips with the trains.

I'm the only one in a blue shirt as the other 3 are 2nd Year grads and have done supervisor placements and stalked DMTs and TOMs for a while. Say Hi if you see me. I'm on earlies next week. First duty is Arnos to T5 on monday.

Anonymous said...

Ha, I *wondered* if that was you when I caught snatches of the conversation - you probably don't remember but I was sitting in the corner with breakfast and a newspaper, near the tray-collecting trolley. Typically, I'm on lates next week so there's probably not much chance of us bumping into each other. Which trainer do you have? I did have a quick scan of the trainer-trainee schedule (a friend of mine is in her last week or so of road training so I tend to look at it to see what she's doing and who she's got) after overhearing someone else's comment in the canteen about you lot going out with I/O's this week.