Monday, September 29, 2008

Still hanging in there

After last weeks set of earlies I'm now on lates (2-10) and Dead lates (5-1.30). The change between the two is already beginning to show. I'm a little miffed by a phone call I got confusing me as to when I start train operations. It was scheduled so I spent 3 weeks on the platforms but now it seems I'm only getting 2 so thats why I've moved my dead lates to this week. I know, I know I'm insane for choosing to do the grave yard shift, especially on a Thursday and Friday night but I've come to the platforms to find out what it's really like and I'm not put off by a touch of hard work.

Unlike some staff who are just out for an easy life and will avoid doing anything. I came across one roaming (goes to lots of stations rather than based at one in particular) that knew less than little old me (with 1 weeks training) and had been on the job for several months.

After making a comment to my fellow colleague about not having had the experience of detainments or VIPs (Visually impaired persons) I had 4 VIPs in 30 mins. Needing various degrees of assistance it was good to have done this side of the job. After all the tube network isn't yet easily navigable (I still get lost going from platform 7 to 8) yet alone not being able to see the hazards of escalators. I'm happy to give any assistance I can.

I feel it's going to be a long week. I'm still trying to read over all the rules and procedures for wrong direction maneuvers and depot operations. It's not an easy topic; reminds me of signal identification methods and ARMAX modeling. Still don't understand that all that well.

No comments: